Sunday, September 2, 2012

My last name is Spanakopita

I'm concerned that 2/3 of the posts so far are from Greek-ish restaurants.  What does that say about us a group?  That we're Greek?  That we eat Greek food  a lot?  That our last names are really Spanakopita (which by the way I think should be prounounced Spanko-pita because its funny).  Also, spanakopita (span-a-cop-ita?) looks lovely and wonderful - spinach squares.  Alas, I have never tried it.  Next time, dear friends, next time. 

This week, this Fare Lady went to "The Mediterranean Grill" on south Western.  This was actually my second visit there.  It's a quick hop, skip, and a jump from work when I am fortunate enough to get a lunch break.  This visit we shared the hummus - a divine garlicky chickpea concoction floating a few beautifully purple kalamata olives, pits included.  The associated pita triangles are decadent, pillow-like, and taste even better the next day for lunch! 
 
I also had the classic Greek gyro, enticing cucumber Greek yogurt and all.


I must add that the first time I visited I had the Greek salad, a personal favorite type of salad.  You can add gyro meat.  So.  Good.  The only downside to The Mediterranean Grill are the prices.  The salad with gyro meat is between $12.00 and $13.00.  Add in the almost $4.00 hummus and lunch becomes pretty expensive.  It's not so bad if you are sharing with friends, and it's a much more reasonable dinner price.  At any rate, I say it's definitely worth a try - even for a special occasion lunch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment