Thursday, September 20, 2012

Yo quiero...Taqueria La Original!

Yes, the title would be better if said by a little chihuahua. I happen to know one that I'm sure would shine in the spotlight. I'll ask him if he'll grace us with his presence for a quick MFL video shoot. Anyway, today I took an honorary MFLer out to lunch at Taqueria La Original. My dear friend Jennifer Cargle, aka Jenn Jenn, now calls Banfield West her home leaving those of us at Banfield South longing for the days of old when we could see her smiling face without having to trek across the city (I-40 and Macarthur is far away!). I guess I 'm happy for her what with the promotion and all but people should really run these big decisions by me first, dammit! Just kidding, Jenn Jenn. I know you're rockin' it over there and will do great things for West! Now back to the food...

Taqueria La Original is located off 10th and Rockwell. It's in a little shacky looking strip center along with some other businesses that I really should pay more attention to before writing about but oh well. I've been to TLO before but Jenn Jenn had never been. How can you turn down street tacos that cost $1.65 each and giant-sized Mexican sodas in glass bottles?! It would be one thing if the tacos weren't delish but they are! They're fresh, hot and simple. It's all about the meat and tortilla. There aren't any extras like piles of lettuce, tomatoes and cheese that fall out anyway. Instead, it's just a little bit of fresh cilantro, lightly grilled onions and the meat on soft, warm tortillas. I always choose flour but I'm sure the corn is equally divine. Jenn Jenn got the chicken flautas, which are fried corn tortillas topped with guacamole, sour cream, lettuce and tomato. You get five flautas for $6 and the guacamole is actually good not just some side item they make and plop on a plate! All-in-all, TLO is a great lunch spot. Inexpensive, quick, tasty with a friendly staff to boot...in spite of Jenn Jenn and I paying for her coke with dimes, nickels and pennies and then tipping with whatever change we had left. I know that makes us sound like complete bitches but I don't ever carry cash and Jenn Jenn had just spent her last few dollars! I hope the girl understood we weren't trying to be snobby?!

Oh and I did remember to take some pics buuuuuttttt they are post-consumption. I've got to start remembering to take them before we eat the food! Grrrr! Nevertheless, I think you get the idea. This is a pic of Jenn Jenn's flautas, coke and the chips and salsa we got as an app. Oh I forgot about the chips! They are authentically homemade. Thicker than most but still delectable and with plenty of salt. I love salt. It's a weakness. And both salsas are good too. Neither is too spicy...even the green!



Yeah, you can't really see the menu all that well but it's got some good stuff on it. Trust. Soooo go check out Taqueria La Original. I think you'll dig it!





2 comments:

  1. Sounds incredible! Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds incredible! Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete